Re: [uml-devel] [RFC] UML kernel & rootfs bundle with every kernel release ?

From: Jeff Dike
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 17:48:45 EST

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 10:40:10PM +0200, roland wrote:
> btw - i think besides that packaged uml+rootfs, the same thing could be
> distributed in other formats, i.e. qemu, vmware, M$ virtual pc (add your
> favourite v12n solution here)

There are sites (http://uml.nagafix.co.uk/ being the best one I know
of) where, with two downloads, two uncompressions, and one command
line later, you have a booted UML.

The only way I know of to improve on this, aside from inprovements in
the booted distro, is to package the filesystem as a rootfs within the
UML kernel binary. I've considered this, but haven't done anything
with it.

Jeff

--
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com