Re: A set of "standard" virtual devices?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Apr 02 2007 - 18:12:35 EST

Jeremy Fitzhardinge wrote:
Andi Kleen wrote:
The implementation wouldn't need to use PCI at all. There wouldn't even need to be PCI like registers internally. Just a pci device
with an ID somewhere in sysfs. PCI with unique IDs
is just a convenient and well established key into the driver module
collection. Once you have the right driver it can do what it wants.

But I understood hpa's suggestion to mean that there would be a standard
PCI interface for a hardware RNG, and a single linux driver for that
device, which all hypervisors would be expected to implement. But
that's only reasonable if the virtualization environment has some notion
of PCI to expose to the Linux guest.

That is, of course, true, although "some notion of" is very broad, and one could also use this for detection and some hypervisor-specific communication for the actual I/O.

However, one probably wants to think about what the heck one actually means with "virtualization" in the absence of a lot of this stuff. PCI is probably the closest thing we have to a lowest common denominator for device detection.

-hpa