Re: A set of "standard" virtual devices?

From: Cornelia Huck
Date: Tue Apr 03 2007 - 09:37:35 EST

On Tue, 3 Apr 2007 14:15:37 +0200,
Arnd Bergmann <arnd@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Right, but an interesting point is the question what to do when running
> another operating system as a guest under Linux, e.g. with kvm.
>
> Ideally, you'd want to use the same interface to announce the presence
> of the device, which can be done far more easily with PCI than using
> a new bus type that you'd need to implement for every OS, instead of
> just implementing the virtual PCI driver.

That's OK for a virtualized architecture where the base architecture
already supports PCI. But a traditional s390 OS would be as unhappy
with a PCI device as with a device of a completely new type :)

There are several options for virtualized devices (and I don't know why
they shouldn't coexist):

1. Emulate a well-known device (like a e1000 network card on PCI or a
model 3390 dasd on CCW). Existing operating systems can just use them,
but it's a lot of work in the hypervisor.

2. Create a virtual PCI device (or a virtual CCW device) with a new id.
Operating systems would need to write a new device driver, but they can
use a familiar infrastructure. That seems to be what most people are
talking about here.

3. Create a new bus which uses a new access method. This new method can
be made very simple, but requires support from the guest operating
system. That's what I was talking about :)

[Note: I'm not actually advocating an emulated ccw driver. There be
dragons.]

> Using a 16 bit number to identify a specific interface sounds like
> a good idea to me, if only for the reason that it is a widely used
> approach. The alternative would be to use an ascii string, like we
> have for open-firmware devices on powerpc or sparc.

OK, we could use common identifiers (and reserve it) for case 2 across
several busses. Like

#define PCI_VIRT_ID GENERIC_VIRT_ID
#define CCW_VIRT_DEVTYPE GENERIC_VIRT_ID

> I think in either way, we need to abstract the driver for the virtual
> device from the underlying bus infrastructure, which is hypervisor
> and/or platform dependent.

Yes, that sounds sane for case 3. We should just standardize the
interface.

> The abstraction could work roughly like this:
>

> ==========
> virt_dev.h
> ==========
> struct virt_driver { /* platform independent */
> struct device_driver drv;
> struct pci_device_id *ids; /* not necessarily PCI */
> };
> struct virt_bus {
> /* platform dependent */
> long (*transfer)(struct virt_dev *dev, void *buffer,
> unsigned long size, int type);
> };

Should this embed a struct bus_type? Or reference a generic_virt_bus?

> struct virt_dev {
> struct device dev;
> struct virt_driver *driver;
> struct virt_bus *bus;
> struct pci_device_id id;
> int irq;
> };

And that's where I have problems :) The notion of "irq" is far too
platform specific. I can bend my mind round using PCI-like ids for
non-PCI virtualized devices, but an integer is far too small and to
specific for a way to access the device.