Re: [rfc] no ZERO_PAGE?

From: Andrea Arcangeli
Date: Wed Apr 04 2007 - 08:27:38 EST

On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 12:24:07PM +0200, Nick Piggin wrote:
> But for a potential mainline merge, maybe starting with a CONFIG
> option is a good idea -- defaulting to off, and we could start by
> turning it on just in -rc kernels for a few releases, to get a bit
> more confidence?

The only reason to do that is if there are many stupid apps pretending
to get meaningful information from pages that cannot contain any
information. The zero page in the anon page fault has been there
forever so...

Anyway I also like this approach as I immediately suggested it after
reading about the zero page scalability patches ;).