Re: [linux-usb-devel] [RFC] HID bus design overview.

From: Li Yu
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 01:30:43 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> +static int hid_bus_match(struct device *dev, struct device_driver
>> *drv) +{
>> + struct hid_driver *hid_drv;
>> + struct hid_device *hid_dev;
>> +
>> + hid_drv = to_hid_driver(drv);
>> + hid_dev = to_hid_device(dev);
>> +
>> + if (is_hid_driver_sticky(hid_drv))
>> + /* the sticky driver match device do not pass here. */
>> + return 0;
>> + if (hid_dev->bus != hid_drv->bus)
>> + return 0;
>>

> How can this happen?

Our HID driver just are some logical drivers, they are not attach some
physical devices directly. However, The HID core may include more than
one physical bus devices, I think HID drivers only take care of these
devices at one physical bus. So, compare here can avoid call
hid_drv->match() across bus.
>> + if (!hid_drv->match || hid_drv->match(hid_drv, hid_dev)) {
>> + hid_dev->driver = hid_drv;
>>

> This usually done in bus->probe() function, when we know for sure that
> driver binds to to the device.

Yes, this may have a bit of hack, but this make hid_drv->probe() more
easier. And, as you seen, the hid_drv_probe() will check the actual
probe process is whether OK. If not so, the hid_drv_probe() will clean
this member.
>> +static void hid_bus_release(struct device *dev)
>> +{
>> +}
>> +
>> +struct device hid_bus = {
>> + .bus_id = "hidbus0",
>> + .release = hid_bus_release
>> +};
>> +
>> +static void hid_dev_release(struct device *dev)
>> +{
>> +}
>> +
>>

> That will for sure raise Greg KH's blood pressure ;)

Er, if not so, we will get some dump stack information in dmesg when
remove this module ......
>> + for (i=0; hid_dev->attrs && hid_dev->attrs[i]; ++i) {
>> + ret = device_create_file(&hid_dev->device, hid_dev->attrs[i]);
>> + if (ret)
>> + break;
>> +
>>

> That should be handled via bus's device attributes and not open coded...

I agree, this is another TODO.
>> - * Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@xxxxxxx>
>> - * Copyright (c) 2005 Michael Haboustak <mike-@xxxxxxxxxxxx> for Concept2, Inc
>> + * Copyright (c) 2000-2005 Vojtech Pavlik <vojtech@@suse.cz>
>> + * Copyright (c) 2005 Michael Haboustak <mike-@@cinci.rr.com> for Concept2, Inc
>> * Copyright (c) 2006 Jiri Kosina
>>

> Any particular reason for mangling addresses?

I also want to who changed them! ~_~

>> + if (interrupt)
>> + local_irq_save(flags);
>> + spin_lock(&hid_lock);
>> + list_for_each_entry(driver, &hid_sticky_drivers, sticky_link) {
>> + hook = driver->hook;
>> + if (hook && hook->raw_event) {
>> + ret = hook->raw_event(hid, type, data, size, interrupt);
>> + if (!ret)
>> + break;
>> + }
>> + }
>> + spin_unlock(&hid_lock);
>> + if (interrupt)
>> + local_irq_restore(flags);
>> +
>>

> This is scary. spin_lock_irqsave() and be done with it.

May be, I really do not want to increase interrupt disabling time in our
action.

>> +int hid_open(struct hid_device *hid)
>> +{
>> + struct hid_transport *tl;
>> + int ret;
>> +
>> + if (hid->driver->open)
>> + return hid->driver->open(hid);
>> + ret = 0;
>> + spin_lock(&hid_lock);
>> + tl = hid_transports[hid->bus];
>> + if (tl->open)
>> + ret = tl->open(hid);
>> + spin_unlock(&hid_lock);
>> + return ret;
>> +}
>>

> Spinlock is not the best choise here, I'd expect most ->open()
> implementation wait on some IO.

Yes, I agree! Also, there have another code access hid_transports[]
without spin it!