Re: [patch 2.6.21-rc5-git] make /proc/acpi/wakeup more useful

From: David Brownell
Date: Thu Apr 05 2007 - 06:36:00 EST

On Thursday 05 April 2007 2:26 am, Matthew Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 05:41:42PM -0700, David Brownell wrote:
> > This updates /proc/acpi/wakeup to be more informative, primarily by showing
> > the sysfs node associated with each wakeup-enabled device. Example:
>
> This looks good.

Also "good at exposing some puzzling info" ... ;)

> > S139 S4 disabled
>
> Any idea what this one is? There's the potential for all sorts of weird
> platform devices to expose wakeup capabilities.

My guess is Firewire (IEEE 1394); "F193" on a different system (different
chip vendor) *is* Firewire. This BIOS seems to have wrongly copied ACPI
tables from a similar system with a fancier southbridge from the same
chip vendor. (ISTR the vendor's reference design used the fancier chip.)

> > Eventually this file should be removed, but until then it's almost the only
> > way we have to tell how the relevant ACPI tables are broken (and cope). In
> > that example, two devices don't actually exist (USB3, S139), one can't issue
> > wakeup events (PCI0), and two seem harmlessly (?) confused (MDM and AUD are
> > the same PCI device, but it's the _modem_ that does wake-on-ring).
>
> Could the MDM entry be referring to the modem codec on the ac97 or
> hda bus?

That's my assumption; yes. Another system lists "AUD0" and "MODM", but
shows neither as a wakeup device. As I said, "confused".

- Dave