Re: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.

From: Christoph Hellwig
Date: Fri Apr 06 2007 - 14:06:25 EST

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 06:29:16PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > The support angel on my shoulder says we should just put all the kernel
> > threads under a kthread subtree to shorten init's child list and minimize
> > impact.
>
> A number are already there, of course, since they use the kthread
> infrastructure to get there.

As all kernel thread (1) should be converted to kthread anyway for
proper containers support and general "let's get rid of a crappy API'
cleanups I think that's enough. It would be nice to have SGI helping
to convert more drivers over to the proper API as conversions have stalled
a little bit.

(1) There's a few very core kernel threads that need to stick to the
low-level API, but they're too few to make any differences.