Re: Two questions regarding Opening files within Kernel!

From: Roland Kuhn
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 05:23:29 EST

Hi!

On 7 Apr 2007, at 08:58, JanuGerman wrote:

1) I have just a file path with me, an absolute path, but no dentry, no inode, no vfsmount object, which function i can call to get a "file" object associated with the absoulte file path. I have surfed arround the source code especially fs/open.c and some other files, but each function requires a parameter "mode" and "fd" beside file path. Actually, i was confuse about the "mode" parameter (and its differece with "flag"), like what to send, and secondly for "fd", i am not sure, what value to send as there is no file infact and only file path exists. Any idea?

No, but I'm no guru either.

2) Any functionality within linux kernel source code, to read one line per file? or some indirect way to set buffer size for one read?. That is, any existing header file for doing text I/O rather than binary within the kernel source code?

Do you have a compelling reason for not letting userspace feed the file to your driver? That would be the natural and much easier way, I suppose...

Ciao,
Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str., 85748 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12575; Telefax 089/289-12570