Re: compressing intermediate files with LZO on the fly

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Sat Apr 07 2007 - 07:58:52 EST

Hi Al,

On Sat, Apr 07, 2007 at 02:32:34PM +0300, Al Boldi wrote:
> Willy Tarreau wrote:
> >
> > ... for some usages (temporary space),
> > light compression can increase speed. For instance, when processing logs,
> > I get better speed by compressing intermediate files with LZO on the fly.
>
> How can you do that on ext3?
>
> Also, can you do that on a partition block-io level?

No, sorry for the confusion. My scripts simply do :

$ lzop -cd file1.lzo | process | lzop -c3 > file2.lzo

With decent CPU, you can reach higher read/write data rates than what a
single off-the-shelf disk can achieve. For this reason, I think that
reiser4 would be worth trying for this particular usage. And in this case,
I'm not interested at all in reliability. It's just temporary storage. If
the disk fails, I throw it away and buy a new one.

Cheers,
Willy