Re: [RFC, PATCH 1/3] introduce SYS_CLONE_MASK

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Sun Apr 08 2007 - 12:21:32 EST

Oleg Nesterov <oleg@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> For review only.
>
> To implement for-in-kerenl-use-only CLONE_ flags, we need to filter out them
> in sys_clone().

Nack

The current clone_flags field is for user space consumption and we
have proposed users for all or almost all of the remaining bits.

If we are going to have kernel only flags please use an additional
argument to do_fork and copy_process.

Your current scheme also has the bad side that if user space supplied
a kernel flag it is hard to detect it and return -EINVAL. Which
limits future expansion. Silently dropping clone flags is a real
pain, if you are trying to detect if a new flag has been implemented.

Eric