Re: I give up

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 12:51:14 EST

On Apr 9 2007 11:37, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Monday 09 April 2007, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>>No; device mapper is the kernel portion of LVM2.
>>
>> Jeff, who actively avoids LVM on home computers
>
>Ya shoulda warned me. :-)
>
>It should have lots bigger warning labels, in bright red self-illuminating
>signs, than it does.

Actually, you have to blame some FC developer for making an LVM-based
setup the _default_ for home installs (aka "FC", enterprise is RHEL/ÂOS).

>It in fact seems to work well, but it is a major
>breakage for some common apps, like doing backups...

dm is on 254 for me.. in opensuse with a 2.6.20 that is. I wonder why it
even moves around. However, even then, those who use udev and device names
rather than (major,minor) tuples should not have any problem.

Jan