Re: Ten percent test

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 15:57:14 EST

On Monday 09 April 2007, Ingo Molnar wrote:[...]
>i didnt say that, in fact my first lkml comment about RSDL on lkml was
>the exact opposite, but you SD advocates are _still_ bickering about
>(and not accepting) fundamental things like Mike's make -j5 workload and
>flagging it as unrealistic, so until there's so much reality disconnect
>there's not much chance for this issue to progress i'm afraid.

Mikes -j5 workload is AFAIAC, a very realistic workload for building a
kernel. My own script I just discovered was using -j8, and that was
noticeable, but by no means a killing hit on my poor old Xp2800 Athlon.
I pulled it back to 4 for this mornings build and the hit, while less, is
still noticeable. Killer hit? No way. Using Mike's v4 patch I think it
was called.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)