Re: [BUG] scheduler: first timeslice of the exiting thread

From: Satoru Takeuchi
Date: Mon Apr 09 2007 - 21:39:50 EST

> > b) Doesn't add extra field and have thread's parent the creater, which is
> > same as process creation. However it has many side effects, for example,
> > we also need to change sys_getppid() implementation.
>
> can't understand this, sorry.

Sorry for my obscure English, perhaps I need more training about writing.

What I meant is ...

If thread A creates thread B and A's parent is C, B's parent is also C
currently. In my idea (b), copy_process() doesn't varies B's parent by
CLONE_THREAD flag and B's parent is A. In this case, there is no need to
change sched_exit() and doesn't need to add extra field. However, we need
to change other code as sysy_getppid(), forget_original_parent(), and so on.

It's same as past linux kernel behavior. I don't know the details when and
why these code was changed (and this problem was overlooked then). Once I
thought I came up with good idea, but now I'm rocking back on my heels
because it seems to need many code change.

Satoru