Re: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 02:54:07 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
At 10 kernel threads per cpu there may be a little bloat but it isn't
out of control. It is mostly that we are observing the kernel as
NR_CPUS approaches infinity. 4096 isn't infinity yet but it's easily
a 1000 fold bigger then most people are used to :)

I disagree there is only a little bloat: the current mechanism in place does not scale as NR_CPUS increases, as this thread demonstrates.

Beyond a certain point, on an 8-CPU box, it gets silly. You certainly don't need eight kblockd threads or eight ata threads.

Jeff