Re: init's children list is long and slows reaping children.

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 03:07:44 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

On Mon, 9 Apr 2007, Andrew Morton wrote:
10 ? S< 0:00 [khelper]
That one's needed to parent the call_usermodehelper() apps. I don't think
it does anything else. We used to use keventd for this but that had some
problem whcih I forget.

I think it was one of a long series of deadlocks.

Using a "keventd" for many different things sounds clever and nice, but then sucks horribly when one event triggers another event, and they depend on each other. Solution: use independent threads for the events.

Nod. That's the key problem with keventd. Independent things must wait on each other.

That's why I feel thread creation -- cheap under Linux -- is quite appropriate for many of these situations.

Jeff