Re: I give up

From: David Lang
Date: Tue Apr 10 2007 - 14:00:48 EST

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007, Olaf Hering wrote:

On Tue, Apr 10, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Tuesday 10 April 2007, Olaf Hering wrote:
On Mon, Apr 09, Dave Dillow wrote:
It's not /dev he's backing up -- its /home, /usr, and others. GNU tar
saves the device and inode numbers from the {,l}stat() call on each
file and decides it is a new file if either number changes from run to
run.

So fix tar to not do silly things.
Kernel major:minor numbers are not stable.

I forgot to add: '.. not stable across reboots.'

YOU Tell that to the tar/star people, they are flabbergasted that its not
stable. It apparently is for every other OS tar can be run on.

They probably have a point with the st_dev usage.
You better find out why your major:minor pairs keep jumping around.
Simply because the 'not stable across reboot' statement holds only for
added/removed disks and maybe if the detection order changes.
If your setup relies on a certain order, make sure the drivers get
loaded in a fixed order. Its not clear from your other mails what
exactly caused it. If its only due to a temporary change in
testkernels, noone can do anything about it.

he's running into problems when he adds additional drivers to the kernel (I don't remember which drivers, he's mentioned them earlier in this thread)

David Lang