Re: Machine Check Exception on Opteron 265

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Sat Apr 14 2007 - 11:42:31 EST

Espen Fjellvær Olsen wrote:
Hi!
Today our Opteron 265, 2x2, paniced after many months uptime, giving
only this error message:

HARDWARE ERROR
CPU 2: Machine Check Exception: 4 Bank 4: b60a200100000813
TSC 6bb9fd0142921a ADDR a891e9b8
This is not a software problem!

mcelog --ascii gives this on the above error:

HARDWARE ERROR
CPU 2 4 northbridge TSC 6bb9fd0142921a
Northbridge ECC error
ECC syndrome = 14
bit32 = err cpu0
bit45 = uncorrected ecc error
bit57 = processor context corrupt
bit61 = error uncorrected
bus error 'local node origin, request didn't time out
generic read mem transaction
memory access, level generic'
STATUS b60a200100000813 MCGSTATUS 4
This is not a software problem!

As far as we know there wasnt any unuasal activity on the server at the
time.
We updated glibc yesterday, but that shouldnt really cause such a problem.
So now we wonder if this might be an MCE bug, or really a HW problem,
and if it is one of the CPUs, or the RAM thats faulty.
We are running 2.6.18.

Sounds like some bad RAM..

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada