Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely FairScheduler [CFS]

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Sun Apr 15 2007 - 19:24:46 EST

On Mon, 2007-04-16 at 01:49 +0300, Ismail DÃnmez wrote:
> Hi,
> On Friday 13 April 2007 23:21:00 Ingo Molnar wrote:
> > [announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler
> > [CFS]
> >
> > i'm pleased to announce the first release of the "Modular Scheduler Core
> > and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]" patchset:
> >
> > http://redhat.com/~mingo/cfs-scheduler/sched-modular+cfs.patch
>
> Tested this on top of Linus' GIT tree but the system gets very unresponsive
> during high disk i/o using ext3 as filesystem but even writing a 300mb file
> to a usb disk (iPod actually) has the same affect.

just to make sure; this exact same workload but with the stock scheduler
does not have this effect?

if so, then it could well be that the scheduler is too fair for it's own
good (being really fair inevitably ends up not batching as much as one
should, and batching is needed to get any kind of decent performance out
of disks nowadays)

--
if you want to mail me at work (you don't), use arjan (at) linux.intel.com
Test the interaction between Linux and your BIOS via http://www.linuxfirmwarekit.org