Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair Scheduler [CFS]

From: Gene Heskett
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 01:49:39 EST

On Monday 16 April 2007, Con Kolivas wrote:

And I snipped, Sorry fellas.

Con's original submission was to me, quite an improvement. But I have to say
it, and no denegration of your efforts is intended Con, but you did 'pull the
trigger' and get this thing rolling by scratching the itch & drawing
attention to an ugly lack of user interactivity that had crept into the 2.6
family. So from me to Con, a tip of the hat, and a deep bow in your
direction, thank you. Now, you have done what you aimed to do, so please get
well.

I've now been through most of an amanda session using Ingo's "CFS" and I have
to say that it is another improvement over your 0.40 that's is just as
obvious as your first patch was against the stock scheduler. No other
scheduler yet has allowed the full utilization of the cpu, and maintained
user interactivity as well as this one has, my cpu is running about 5
degrees F hotter just from this effect alone. gzip, if the rest of the
system is in between tasks, is consistently showing around 95%, but let
anything else stick up its hand, like procmail etc, and gzip now dutifully
steps aside, dropping into the 40% range until procmail and spamd are done,
at which point there is no rest for the wicked and the cpu never gets a
chance to cool.

There was, just now, a pause of about 2 seconds, while amanda moved a tarball
from the holding disk area on /dev/hda to the vtapes disk on /dev/hdd, so
that would have been an I/O bound situation.

This one Ingo, even without any other patches and I think I did see one go by
in this thread which I didn't apply, is a definite keeper. Sweet even.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)