Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely Fair

From: Al Boldi
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 10:36:05 EST

Peter Williams wrote:
> Al Boldi wrote:
> > Reducing the prio-level granularity may also be helpful;
>
> Because of some of the bit operations code makes it a bad idea to have
> more than 160 priority levels, you're more or less limited to 60
> priority levels for SCHED_OTHER tasks (as 100 are used for real time)
> and you need 40 of these to pay some attention to niceness leaving you
> about 20 priority levels to use for fiddling. Is that enough?
>
> With spa_ebs (now that CPU rate caps have been removed), you have all 60
> priorities available for fiddling with as niceness is taken care of when
> calculating each task's entitlement.

Ok, increasing the number of prio-levels is one thing, but I was more
thinking of reducing the effective difference between each prio-level. For
example, this would allow max_tpt_bonus=18, while the effective range would
be 3, thus reducing granularity. Would this be easily introduceable?

Thanks!

--
Al