Re: [nameidata 1/2] Don't pass NULL nameidata to vfs_create

From: Andreas Gruenbacher
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 12:41:06 EST

On Monday 16 April 2007 18:21, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> But anyway, creating fake nameidata structures is not really helpful.
> If there is a nameidata passed people expect it to be complete, and
> if you pass them to an LSM people will e.g. try to look into lookup
> intents.

I don't actually agree with that: when nfsd creates a file, it still is a file
create no matter where it originates from, and so it does make sense to
provide the appropriate intent information too. Struct nameidata contains
other crap only needed during an actual lookup too --- that's a mess, and the
nameidata2 patch shows one possibility how to deal with it. (It's the
cleanest approach I could think of right now without cluttering the vfs code
with insane amounts of dereferences.)

Thanks,
Andreas