Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

From: Chuck Ebbert
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 18:26:43 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Apr 15 2007 12:53, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:
>>> How common are notebooks that cut power to disks during reboot?
>> Assuming it also does this when running Windows, I'd report it as a grave
>> bug to the vendor and demand it to be fixed, or the machine to be exchanged
>> with another model that doesn't have this defect.
>
> Given that it does not happen on Windows (IIRC Chuck's post),
> then just what is Windows [not] doing that Linux does?

It looks like there are two problems here:

(1) Some notebooks power off and back on when restarting.
Both Linux and other OS handle that badly because they
assume power is not interrupted on reboot. The noise
emitted is relatively loud.

(2) Linux (alone) gives a very muted pop on shutdown. This could
be from bad interaction with the shutdown command, or some
other reason (drive not given enough time to shut down?)
The noise is not very loud, maybe the head did not have to
move very far?