Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely FairScheduler [CFS]

From: Peter Williams
Date: Mon Apr 16 2007 - 21:33:42 EST

Chris Friesen wrote:
William Lee Irwin III wrote:

The sorts of like explicit decisions I'd like to be made for these are:
(1) In a mixture of tasks with varying nice numbers, a given nice number
corresponds to some share of CPU bandwidth. Implementations
should not have the freedom to change this arbitrarily according
to some intention.

The first question that comes to my mind is whether nice levels should be linear or not.

No. That squishes one end of the table too much. It needs to be (approximately) piecewise linear around nice == 0. Here's the mapping I use in my entitlement based schedulers:

#define NICE_TO_LP(nice) ((nice >=0) ? (20 - (nice)) : (20 + (nice) * (nice)))

It has the (good) feature that a nice == 19 task has 1/20th the entitlement of a nice == 0 task and a nice == -20 task has 21 times the entitlement of a nice == 0 task. It's not strictly linear for negative nice values but is very cheap to calculate and quite easy to invert if necessary.

I would lean towards nonlinear as it allows a wider range (although of course at the expense of precision). Maybe something like "each nice level gives X times the cpu of the previous"? I think a value of X somewhere between 1.15 and 1.25 might be reasonable.

What about also having something that looks at latency, and how latency changes with niceness?

What about specifying the timeframe over which the cpu bandwidth is measured? I currently have a system where the application designers would like it to be totally fair over a period of 1 second.

Have you tried the spa_ebs scheduler? The half life is no longer a run time configurable parameter (as making it highly adjustable results in less efficient code) but it could be adjusted to be approximately equivalent to 0.5 seconds by changing some constants in the code.

As you can imagine, mainline doesn't do very well in this case.

You should look back through the plugsched patches where many of these ideas have been experimented with.

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce