Re: [patch] CFS (Completely Fair Scheduler), v2

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 01:51:44 EST

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 07:25 +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:

> Have you tried previous version with the fair-fork patch ? It might be possible
> that your workload is sensible to the fork()'s child getting much CPU upon
> startup.

Dunno about that, but here's a possibly related datapoint. I reported
to Ingo yesterday that I was sometimes losing control of my GUI (KDE)
under heavy IO. I just reproduced it in mainline rc7. If I start a
bonnie, and click around popping windows to the foreground, then poke
KDE's menu button, I may lose all GUI capability for a _very_ long time.
Here, with bonnie, that means until it gets past writing with putc, and
moves on to rewrite. Ages.

-Mike