Re: 2.6.21-rc6-mm1 ATA HPT37x regression

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 13:05:40 EST

John Stoffel wrote:

I was just testing out 2.6.21-rc6-mm1 to test some Cyclades patches
and I noticed that my HPT302 (rev1) controller with a pair of 120gb WD
disks are not longer detected and I get the following in the dmesg
logs:

[ 148.121490] hpt37x: DPLL did not stabilize.

Where before, under 2.6.21-rc6 I got the following:

Sergei> For the moment I thought you're reporting another hpt366.c
Sergei> driver breakage but then noticed the next line:

I used to think that I wanted to use that driver too, but it's not
going to work. It's because I've got the version 1 of the chip, not
the newer version 2 or higher version.

So what?

It looks like you really mean for me to use the hpt3x2.c driver
instead, since that's the only other one which mentions the
PCI_DEVICE_ID_TTI_HPT302 device id in it's init method.

I actually meant drivers/ide/pci/hpt366.c. :-)

[ 173.749349] pata_hpt37x: BIOS has not set timing clocks.
[ 173.752949] hpt37x: HPT302: Bus clock 33MHz.

Sergei> Obviously this was bacause of switching from PCI to DPLL
Sergei> clock. The old and new drivers are different in how they
Sergei> handle DPLL calibration though. Could you try hpt366.c
Sergei> (there's been report about its failure too recently -- not
Sergei> enought details yet)?

I don't think it will work here, it won't even touch the card since
the pci_device_id won't match at all. The htp366.c only looks at
HPT366 ids, while mine is an HPT302 id.

The driver I've named should work (unless something is broken somewhere, that is).
Basically, it uses wider range to calibrate DPLL.

As a quick note, 2.6.21-rc7 is working just fine here.

Yeah, it's still using PCI clock.

Ok, so do I need to do anything special with the next -mm release and
the next version?

Well, let Alan decide that (2Alan: and I said that HPT code is bogus :-).

Thanks,
John

MBR, Sergei