Re: Permanent Kgdb integration into the kernel - lets get with it.

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Tue Apr 17 2007 - 14:36:32 EST

Hello.

Randy Dunlap wrote:

In spite of kgdb, shouldn't it have that \n anyways in case some other code
gets added in the future after the macro? Or are you saying that there should
never be any code ever after that macro?

Sure if there is mainline code added after that macro we add the \n.
But only if it makes sense to add code there, which it didn't in kgdb.

Was that because with recent enough tools and config options there was
enough annotations so GDB could finally figure out where things had
stopped? Thanks.

The reason Linus said he didn't allow George's kgdb mm patch to be integrating into the kernel a year or two ago was that Amit and
George had significantly different implementations. So Amit, Tom, George, and the rest of the kgdb development gang worked together and came up with a unified version that we now support on SourceForge.

Tom rolled up a mm patch back in December for Andrew and then the
integration process stopped. I suggest we work together on getting
the kgdb patch back into the mm series and permanently into the kernel
like the kexec code and then we can avoid this kernel development
obfuscation.

Hi,
Is there any movement on this?

Jason Wessel has taken up KGDB maintenance for upstream. We're now working on merging the several diverse trees together.

WBR, Sergei