Re: Performance degradation with FFSB between 2.6.20 and 2.6.21-rc7

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 16:57:39 EST

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:54:00 +0200 Valerie Clement <valerie.clement@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Running benchmark tests (FFSB) on an ext4 filesystem, I noticed a
> performance degradation (about 15-20 percent) in sequential write tests
> between 2.6.19-rc6 and 2.6.21-rc4 kernels.
>
> I ran the same tests on ext3 and XFS filesystems and I saw the same
> performance difference between the two kernel versions for these two
> filesystems.
>
> I have also reproduced it between 2.6.20.7 and 2.6.21-rc7.
> The FFSB tests run 16 threads, each creating 1GB files. The tests were
> done on the same x86_64 system, with the same kernel configuration and
> on the same scsi device. Below are the throughput values given by FFSB.
>
> kernel XFS ext3
> ----------
> 2.6.20.7 48 MB/sec 44 MB/sec
>
> 2.6.21-rc7 38 MB/sec 37 MB/sec
>
> Did anyone else run across the problem?
> Is there a known issue?

That's a new discovery, thanks.

It could be due to I/O scheduler changes. Which one are you using? CFQ?

Or it could be that there has been some changed behaviour at the VFS/pagecache
layer: the VFS might be submitting little hunks of lots of files, rather than
large hunks of few files.

Or it could be a block-layer thing: perhaps some driver change has caused
us to be placing less data into the queue. Which device driver is that machine
using?

Being a simple soul, the first thing I'll try when I get near a test box
will be

for i in $(seq 1 16)
do
time dd if=/dev/zero of=$i bs=1M count=1024 &
done