Re: Loud "pop" coming from hard drive on reboot

From: Mark Lord
Date: Wed Apr 18 2007 - 19:51:58 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Tejun Heo wrote:

1. shutdown(8) issues SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE followed by STANDBY_NOW
2. kernel shutdown starts
3. libata shutdown issues SYNCHRONIZE_CACHE
4. power goes off

Okay, after some experimentatino, it's the STANDBY_NOW that
is causing the Power-Off_Retract_Count to increment on my machine.

Tell me again why we think we need to issue that command ?

Arghh.. okay, removing that from the code has no effect on it either.
I just don't understand the problem any more, since I don't actually
have it here (I think).

Can somebody explain again what the issue was, when it began happening,
and whatever else? And what Tejun's fix (2.6.22) does again?

I've lost all of the early postings.

Thanks