Re: Renice X for cpu schedulers

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu Apr 19 2007 - 09:17:44 EST

Con Kolivas wrote:
s go ahead and think up great ideas for other ways of metering out cpu
bandwidth for different purposes, but for X, given the absurd simplicity of renicing, why keep fighting it? Again I reiterate that most users of SD have not found the need to renice X anyway except if they stick to old habits of make -j4 on uniprocessor and the like, and I expect that those on CFS and Nicksched would also have similar experiences.

Just plain "make" (no -j2 or -j9999) is enough to kill interactivity
on my 2GHz P-M single-core non-HT machine with SD.

But with the very first posted version of CFS by Ingo,
I can do "make -j2" no problem and still have a nicely interactive destop.

-ml