Re: [Announce] [patch] Modular Scheduler Core and Completely FairScheduler [CFS]

From: Peter Williams
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 02:17:24 EST

William Lee Irwin III wrote:
I'd further recommend making priority levels accessible to kernel threads
that are not otherwise accessible to processes, both above and below
user-available priority levels. Basically, if you can get SCHED_RR and
SCHED_FIFO to coexist as "intimate scheduler classes," then a SCHED_KERN
scheduler class can coexist with SCHED_OTHER in like fashion, but with
availability of higher and lower priorities than any userspace process
is allowed, and potentially some differing scheduling semantics. In such
a manner nonessential background processing intended not to ever disturb
userspace can be given priorities appropriate to it (perhaps even con's
SCHED_IDLEPRIO would make sense), and other, urgent processing can be
given priority over userspace altogether.