Re: [RFC 0/8] Cpuset aware writeback

From: Ethan Solomita
Date: Fri Apr 20 2007 - 21:38:18 EST

Christoph Lameter wrote:
Hmmmm.... Sorry. I got distracted and I have sent them to Kame-san who was interested in working on them.

I have placed the most recent version at
http://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/christoph/cpuset_dirty

Hi Christoph -- a few comments on the patches:

cpuset_write_dirty_map.htm

In __set_page_dirty_nobuffers() you always call cpuset_update_dirty_nodes() but in __set_page_dirty_buffers() you call it only if page->mapping is still set after locking. Is there a reason for the difference? Also a question not about your patch: why do those functions call __mark_inode_dirty() even if the dirty page has been truncated and mapping == NULL?

cpuset_write_throttle.htm

I noticed that several lines have leading spaces. I didn't check if other patches have the problem too.

In get_dirty_limits(), when cpusets are configd you don't subtract highmen the same way that is done without cpusets. Is this intentional?

It seems that dirty_exceeded is still a global punishment across cpusets. Should it be addressed?

-- Ethan