Re: [patch] CFS scheduler, v3

From: Peter Williams
Date: Sat Apr 21 2007 - 06:37:37 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
* Peter Williams <pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I retract this suggestion as it's a very bad idea. It introduces the possibility of starvation via the poor sods at the bottom of the queue having their "on CPU" forever postponed and we all know that even the smallest possibility of starvation will eventually cause problems.

I think there should be a rule: Once a task is on the queue its "on CPU" time is immutable.

Yeah, fully agreed. Currently i'm using the simple method of p->nice_offset, which plainly just moves the per nice level areas of the tree far enough apart (by a constant offset) so that lower nice levels rarely interact with higher nice levels. Lower nice levels never truly starve because rq->fair_clock increases deterministically and currently the fair_key values are indeed 'immutable' as you suggest.

In practice they can starve a bit when one renices thousands of tasks, so i was thinking about the following special-case: to at least make them easily killable: if a nice 0 task sends a SIGKILL to a nice 19 task then we could 'share' its p->wait_runtime with that nice 19 task and copy the signal sender's nice_offset. This would in essence pass the right to execute over to the killed task, so that it can tear itself down.

This cannot be used to gain an 'unfair advantage' because the signal sender spends its own 'right to execute on the CPU', and because the target task cannot execute any user code anymore when it gets a SIGKILL.

In any case, it is clear that rq->raw_cpu_load should be used instead of rq->nr_running, when calculating the fair clock, but i begin to like the nice_offset solution too in addition of this: it's effective in practice and starvation-free in theory, and most importantly, it's very simple. We could even make the nice offset granularity tunable, just in case anyone wants to weaken (or strengthen) the effectivity of nice levels. What do you think, can you see any obvious (or less obvious) showstoppers with this approach?

I haven't had a close look at it but from the above description it sounds an order of magnitude more complex than I thought it would be. The idea of different nice levels sounds like a recipe for starvation to me (if it works the way it sounds like it works).

I guess I'll have to spend more time reading the code because I don't seem to be able to make sense of the above description in any way that doesn't say "starvation here we come".

Peter
--
Peter Williams pwil3058@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-- Ambrose Bierce