Re: Renice X for cpu schedulers

From: Mark Lord
Date: Sat Apr 21 2007 - 10:55:44 EST

Nick Piggin wrote:
On Thu, Apr 19, 2007 at 09:17:25AM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:
Just plain "make" (no -j2 or -j9999) is enough to kill interactivity
on my 2GHz P-M single-core non-HT machine with SD.

Is this with or without X reniced?

That was with no manual jiggling, everything the same as with stock kernels,
except that stock kernels don't kill interactivity here.

But with the very first posted version of CFS by Ingo,
I can do "make -j2" no problem and still have a nicely interactive destop.

How well does cfs run if you have the granularity set to something
like 30ms (30000000)?

Dunno, I've put this stuff aside for now until things settle down.
With four schedulers, and lots of patches / revisions / tuning-knobs,
there's just no way to keep up with it all here.

Cheers