Re: [mmc] alternative TI FM MMC/SD driver for 2.6.21-rc7

From: Matthew Garrett
Date: Mon Apr 23 2007 - 03:04:32 EST

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 03:15:22PM +0300, Sergey Yanovich wrote:

> For a typical, non-linux-geek user there are just two states of the device -
> available and not available. Ububtu is famous for its end-user support.
> They ship your driver since linux-2.6.17. But they pack it in one module.
> And that is _much_ easier, then a hotplug script.

No, we ship a udev script.

> At the same time, the [tifm_sd] code is device specific, and [tifm_7xx1]
> code is also device specific. And both modules depend on the same device
> (of family of devices). That makes me think that a bus/controller/slot
> construction is not going to make thing any easier, but adds complexity.

At one point it looked like it might be possible to drive the tifm_7xx0
devices in a similar way. I'm not sure if this is actually the case, but
right now the driver design seems to accurately reflect the reality of
the hardware design. I don't see any especially strong argument for
breaking that.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59@xxxxxxxxxxxxx