Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 17:25:43 EST

Hi!

> > Well, current uswsusp code can do most of stuff suspend2 can do, with
> > 20% (or so) of kernel code.
>
> Btw, this is a totally inane argument.
>
> If the code just moved somewhere else, it's not "less code".

It is not "just moved". It is in userspace, where we can use liblzf /
gcrypt / ( and vbetool for s2ram/s2both) as libraries. We have about
7000 LoC of userland code (that is not libraries).

> You compare complete subsystems against complete subsystems, OR YOU DON'T
> COMPARE THEM AT ALL!

Ok, I do not know how big suspend2 user code is, but kernel uswsusp
(4 kLoC) + userland support (7 kLoC) is still smaller than suspend2
kernel code (+ ? kLoC suspend2 userland support).

> This whole notion that "kernel lines of code" is somehow different is a
> stupid and idiotic _disease_ that is spread by microkernel people and
> people who have been brainwashed by them.

Yep, sorry about that.

> Separation of code often makes things *harder* to understand and debug. A
> few prime examples of this f*cking idiotic stupid disease of discounting
> user level code because it somehow "doesn't matter" is:

I believe uswsusp user/kernel separation is clean enough. Kernel
provides "snapshot image" and "resume image". (Thanks go to Rafael for
very clean interface).

Pavel