Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2:hang in atomic copy)

From: Xavier Bestel
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 04:49:26 EST

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 07:23 +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > I absolutely detest all suspend-to-disk crap. Quite frankly, I hate the
> > whole thing. I think they've _all_ caused problems for the "true" suspend
> > (suspend-to-ram), and the last thing I want to see is three or four
>
> Well, it is a bit more complex than that.
>
> suspend-to-disk is a workaround for
>
> 'suspend-to-ram eats too much power' (plus some details like
> being able to replace battery).
>
> suspend-to-ram is a workaround for
>
> 'idle machine takes way too much power' (plus some details
> like don't spin the disk so that machine is safe to carry).

I think it depends on who you ask. I personally think that suspend-to-
$youchoose is a workaround for the slowness of system startup. I never
turn off my laptop, I just suspend it.

(And guess what, it uses APM and suspend is really faster and way more
reliable than each kernel implementation I could try).

Xav