Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2:hang in atomic copy)

From: Romano Giannetti
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 05:35:53 EST

On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 07:23 +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> suspend-to-disk is a workaround for
>
> 'suspend-to-ram eats too much power' (plus some details like
> being able to replace battery).

...and let me add 'suspend-to-disk' is a workaround for when s2ram does
not work for a gazillion interacting reasons (ACPI, vga bios, drm/dri,
you name it).
I am quite happy with s2ram now on my AMD-based vaio, but it started to
work with 2.6.17 kernels (Ubuntu Edgy, really), and the three years
before that suspend-to-disk (sometime Pavel's, sometime Nigel's)
saved the day (yes, it's quite faster to use suspend-to-disk that doing
shutdown, reboot, and re-open all the applications).

So, please do not dismiss suspend-to-disk as "crap". It has its place
under the sun.

Romano

--
Romano Giannetti --- romano.giannetti@xxxxxxxxx
Sorry for the following disclaimer, it's attached by our outgoing server

--
La presente comunicaciÃn tiene carÃcter confidencial y es para el exclusivo uso del destinatario indicado en la misma. Si Ud. no es el destinatario indicado, le informamos que cualquier forma de distribuciÃn, reproducciÃn o uso de esta comunicaciÃn y/o de la informaciÃn contenida en la misma estÃn estrictamente prohibidos por la ley. Si Ud. ha recibido esta comunicaciÃn por error, por favor, notifÃquelo inmediatamente al remitente contestando a este mensaje y proceda a continuaciÃn a destruirlo. Gracias por su colaboraciÃn.

This communication contains confidential information. It is for the exclusive use of the intended addressee. If you are not the intended addressee, please note that any form of distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is strictly prohibited by law. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy this message. Thank you for your cooperation.