SD renice recommendation was: Re: [REPORT] cfs-v4 vs sd-0.44

From: Con Kolivas
Date: Wed Apr 25 2007 - 20:57:53 EST

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 16:36, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> So, my point is, the nice level of X for desktop users should not be set
> lower than a low limit suggested by that particular scheduler's author.
> That limit is scheduler-specific. Con i think recommends a nice level of
> -1 for X when using SD [Con, can you confirm?], while my tests show that
> if you want you can go as low as -10 under CFS, without any bad
> side-effects. (-19 was a bit too much)

Nice 0 as a default for X, but if renicing, nice -10 as the lower limit for X
on SD. The reason for that on SD is that the priority of freshly woken up
tasks (ie not fully cpu bound) for both nice 0 and nice -10 will still be the
same at PRIO 1 (see the prio_matrix). Therefore, there will _not_ be
preemption of the nice 0 task and a context switch _unless_ it is already cpu
bound and has consumed a certain number of cycles and has been demoted.
Contrary to popular belief, it is not universal that a less niced task will
preempt its more niced counterpart and depends entirely on implementation of
nice. Yes it is true that context switch rate will go up with a reniced X
because the conditions that lead to preemption are more likely to be met, but
it is definitely not every single wakeup of the reniced X.

Alas, again, I am forced to spend as little time as possible at the pc for my
health, so expect _very few_ responses via email from me. Luckily SD is in
pretty fine shape with version 0.46.

--
-ck