Re: Back to the future.

From: Nigel Cunningham
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 03:45:23 EST

Hi.

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:28 +0300, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On 4/26/07, Nigel Cunningham <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > 3) Someone else steps up to the plate and tries to merge Suspend2 one
> > bit at a time.
>
> So which bits do we want to merge? For example, Suspend2
> kernel/power/ui.c, kernel/power/compression.c, and
> kernel/power/encryption.c seem pointless now that we have uswsusp.
> Furthermore, being the shameless Linus cheerleader that I am, I got
> the impression that we should fix the snapshot/shutdown logic in the
> kernel which Suspend2 doesn't really address?

I agree that the driver logic could be addressed too, but to answer your
question...

* Doing things in the right order? (Prepare the image, then do the
atomic copy, then save).
* Mulithreaded I/O (might as well use multiple cores to compress the
image, now that we're hotplugging later).
* Support for > 1 swap device.
* Support for ordinary files.
* Full image option.
* Modular design?