Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2: hang in atomic copy)

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 10:44:38 EST

On Thursday, 26 April 2007 13:12, Pekka Enberg wrote:
> On 4/25/07, Pavel Machek <pavel@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Please stop using FUD.
> > > Graphical progress it's not in the kernel, even with suspend2.
> >
> > It was ascii-art, but still 'graphical', last time I checked.
>
> Suspend2 talks to an userspace client via netlink. While I find the
> name of the message ("redraw UI") rather appaling, there's nothing
> wrong in principle that userspace starts the suspend process and the
> kernel keeps feeding back progress information ("I froze all processes
> now") so it can display a graphical progress bar.
>
> The real question here is what to do with compression and encryption.
> However, if you settle for one compression algorithm (such as LZF in
> the case of suspend2) and use the _existing_ in-kernel crypto API for
> encryption, suddenly the benefits of userspace suspend are not clear.
>
> As you and Rafael seem to be mostly interested in uswsusp, why don't
> we replace the old in-kernel implementation with suspend2?

It has a lot of common code with uswsusp. Practically, the saving of the image
is the only part of it that could be removed, but this is simple and _really_
helps with debugging.

In principle, we could add suspend2 as an alternative (in analogy with the I/O
schedulers, for example), but I think for this purpose it should be reviewed
properly.

There also is a real problem with how it uses the LRU pages. It _seems_ to
work, but at least to me it seems to be potentially dangerous.

Greetings,
Rafael