Re: [00/17] Large Blocksize Support V3

From: Avi Kivity
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 10:57:10 EST

David Chinner wrote:
Why is it necessary to assume that one filesystem block == one buffer? Is it for atomicity, efficiency, or something else?

By definition, really - each filesystem block has it's own state and
it's own disk mapping and so we need something to carry that
information around....

Well, for block sizes > PAGE_SIZE, you can just duplicate the mapping information (with an offset-in-block bit field) in each page's struct page. But I see from your other posts that there are atomicity and performance reasons as well.