Re: [RFT] e100 driver on ARM

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 12:10:11 EST

Kok, Auke wrote:
Jeff Garzik wrote:
Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
This is all a while ago now, but wasn't the e100 S-bit patch originally
written by Intel people in response to the very same quote by Russell
King that you've quoted above?

Correct.

I just wanted to make sure it didn't kill any boxes.

Neither did we. On top of that we didn't have the equipment to test on ARM on until recently, and the system that I got recently will not even load the kernel with an e100 NIC in the PCI slot (way way way before e100.ko loads, e1000 works just fine). that doesn't help either.

Meanwhile we've not sat still and jesse wrote a patch to have e100 use IO optionally for plagued platforms which seems to fix some of these issues, and Jeff Kirsher has been actively tracking a e100 IPMI issue on a very specific platform.

Jeff, I think I should just push the IO patch and the sbit code to Andrew and have it sit there. That is a vastly larger test resource than we currently can generate for this. If needed we just let is sit there for a whole release cycle before moving it to #upstream.

The sbit code has been in -mm via netdev-2.6.git#ALL for many months now. I am certainly open to adding any number of "for -mm only" style patches that you wish to pass along, for /any/ driver: e100, e1000, ixgb.

Jeff