Re: suspend2 merge (was Re: [Suspend2-devel] Re: CFS and suspend2:hang in atomic copy)

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu Apr 26 2007 - 12:29:37 EST

On Thu, 26 Apr 2007, Chris Friesen wrote:

> I disagree...it's quite common. I think its the standard way of doing things
> for ppc64, for instance.

It is, although most x86-64 installations seem to be 64-bit user space
*if*you*install*from*scatch*.

Of course, at least some users (yeah, I've done it) started with a 32-bit
CD they had lying around, and upgraded just the kernel. And I'm sure some
distro out there just defaults to 32-bit binaries just because (in
practice, you have to use a 32-bit firefox anyway if you want flash etc,
so you need all the 32-bit libraries, so the argument might go that you
might as well use 32-bit stuff for all the common stuff, and only 64-bit
binaries when actually needed).

Linus