Re: [ck] Re: [REPORT] cfs-v6-rc2 vs sd-0.46 vs 2.6.21-rc7

From: Michael Gerdau
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 02:53:38 EST

> Very interesting indeed but fairly complicated as well.

Sorry for that -- I've taken these figures from the 3MB logfile
that each job creates and "reading" them on a regular basis tend
to forget that probably everyody else does not find them as
obvious as I do. Also I'm don't really have lots of experience
with how a scheduler is properly tested.

For any upcoming tests I will restrict the numbers to wallclock
and what time provides which probably is better suited anyway.

> > as a summary: i think your numbers demonstrate it nicely that the
> > shorter 'timeslice length' that both CFS and SD utilizes does not have a
> > measurable negative impact on your workload. To measure the total impact
> > of 'timeslicing' you might want to try the exact same workload with a
> > much higher 'timeslice length' of say 400 msecs, via:
> >
> > echo 400000000 > /proc/sys/kernel/sched_granularity_ns # on CFS
> > echo 400 > /proc/sys/kernel/rr_interval # on SD
>
> I thought that the effective "timeslice" on CFS was double the
> sched_granularity_ns so wouldn't this make the effective timeslice double
> that of what you're setting SD to? Anyway the difference between 400 and
> 800ms timeslices is unlikely to be significant so I don't mind.

I'm happy to do that, hopefully over the weekend.

Best,
Michael
--
Technosis GmbH, Geschäftsführer: Michael Gerdau, Tobias Dittmar
Sitz Hamburg; HRB 89145 Amtsgericht Hamburg