Re: [ext3][kernels >= 2.6.20.7 at least] KDE going comatose whenFS is under heavy write load (massive starvation)

From: Manoj Joseph
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 08:39:50 EST

Marat Buharov wrote:
On 4/27/07, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Aside: why the heck do applications think that their data is so important
that they need to fsync it all the time. I used to run a kernel on my
laptop which had "return 0;" at the top of fsync() and fdatasync(). Most
pleasurable.

So, if having fake fsync() and fdatasync() is pleasurable for laptop
and desktop, may be it's time to add option into Kconfig which
disables normal fsync behaviour in favor of robust desktop?

Sure, a noop fsync/fdatasync would speed up some things. And I am sure Andrew Morton knew what he was doing and the consequences.

But unless you care nothing about your data, you should not do it. It is as simple as that. No, it does not give you a robust desktop!!

-Manoj

--
Manoj Joseph
http://kerneljunkie.blogspot.com/