checkpatch, a patch checking script.

From: Dave Jones
Date: Fri Apr 27 2007 - 23:08:32 EST

On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 08:02:07PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:

> > Yep, I was going to mention your scripts but you beat me to it.
> >
> > I'll be glad to help maintain such animals if wanted.
> >
> wanted ;)
>
> At least, it would be interesting to investigate the usefulness. I suspect
> it will prove to be very useful for the little things.

Randy and I got together and hashed out a first cut at this.
(Randy actually gutted quite a lot of what I originally wrote, so deserves
much kudos for improving this beyond my initial crappy version).
You can find the script at http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/checkpatch/
There's also a git clonable tree there (only http right now).

http://www.codemonkey.org.uk/projects/checkpatch/example.log shows
what fell out of running it on my mbox of lkml from the past month.
Some of them are kinda noisy, and perhaps should be moved under --pedantic

I'm all ears for additional regexps, bug reports or other suggestions.

Before wiring this up to a procmail rule to scan every patch, I think it's
probably a better idea to flesh it out a bit more.

Dave

--
http://www.codemonkey.org.uk