Re: Back to the future.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 12:30:43 EST

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

> We do not want kernel threads running:
>
> a) they may hold some locks and deadlock suspend
>
> b) they may do some writes to disk, leading to corruption

You're really just making both of those up.

If a kernel thread holds a lock and deadlocks suspend, that would deadlock
anythign else _too_. Suspend isn't *that* special. Everything it does are
things other people do too.

And no, kernel threads do not write to disk on their own. Name one. They
help *others* write to disk, but those disk writes need to happen.

The freezer has *caused* those deadlocks (eg by stopping threads that were
needed for the suspend writeouts to succeed!), not solved them.

So stop making these totally bogus arguments up.

Linus