Re: Back to the future.

From: David Lang
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 15:09:34 EST

On Sat, 28 Apr 2007, Pavel Machek wrote:

We freeze user space processes for the reasons that you have quoted above.

Why we freeze kernel threads in there too is a good question, but not for me to
answer. I don't know. Pavel should know, I think.

We do not want kernel threads running:

a) they may hold some locks and deadlock suspend

b) they may do some writes to disk, leading to corruption

We could solve a) by carefully auditing suspend lock usage to make
sure deadlocks are impossible even with kernel threads running.

remember that we are doing suspend-to-disk, after we do the snapshot we will be doing a shutdown. that should simplify the locking issues

David Lang