Re: Linux 2.6.21

From: Adrian Bunk
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 20:05:46 EST

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 04:40:31PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> What's the difference between bugzilla and lkml.org? Both have search
> buttons. Both archive the old stuff. Both can be pointed to.

Mailing lists don't track bugs.

The _only_ reason why I originally started regression lists was because
several kernel developers were spreading the fairy tale "noone tests -rc
kernels".

This was only possible because so many bug reports to linux-kernel never
get any reply, and are therefore lost.

After I started the regression lists, it suddenly turned out how many
people test -rc kernels, and that even with regression lists at least
weekly, it still often took weeks ontil some developer even started
debugging a regression.

So what's the difference between bugzilla and lkml.org?
In Bugzilla we are able to see how bad our bug handling is...

> Linus

cu
Adrian

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.