Re: Back to the future.

From: Kyle Moffett
Date: Sat Apr 28 2007 - 23:45:26 EST

On Apr 28, 2007, at 19:45:01, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, 29 Apr 2007, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
Well, I'm not sure whether or not that still would have been the case if we had stopped to freeze kernel threads for the hibernation/suspend.

Did you miss the email where Paul pointed out that Mac/PowerPC didn't use to do any of this? And apparently never had any issues with it? And probably worked more reliably several years ago than suspend/hibernation
does _today_?

Still works pretty reliably; the last time my PowerBook G4 was rebooted was 6 weeks ago. Once every 60 suspends or so the kernel USB driver gets really confused and doesn't wake up the USB controller properly, leading to dead keyboard/mouse, but other than that I never have problems. I wouldn't be surprised if I could comment out 90% of the "suspend" code and still have it work, the hardware in is is incredibly robust. I can even swap batteries while it's in suspend-to-RAM, as long as I do it in less than 45 sec or so; I get around 6-7 days of suspend-to-RAM time on a full charge.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett